This summer I have done quite a bit more reading then I usually have time for...or rather, make time for. One of the BEST books I have ever read, and I read this summer was The Help. On our way back from vacation, I sat next to a woman on the plane who was reading it. Prior to that, I had seen the book in store windows and so I took the opportunity to ask her what it was about and how she liked it. She said she loved it, and had just starting reading it that day and was already over 100 pages in. When I then a few weeks later happened to stumble upon the book in Costco, I bought it and became quickly engulfed in reading it. I can't wait to see the movie, and if you know me, I NEVER go to the movies, and rarely watch them at home, so that in itself says something about the book. Here are some others:
The Help - AWESOME, touching, inspiring
Mini Shopaholic (part of Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series, in which I have read every one) Loved it! It made me laugh, and always keeps me reading. I highly recommend any of Kinsella's books even if you haven't or don't want to get into the Shopaholic series. Recently I have considered reading one of her books again, just for the laugh:)
Heaven is for Real - wow...I cried for pretty much the entire first half of the book, but kept reading....and finished the same day! Very inspiring
Bad Girls of the Bible - me and my community group girls have been doing a study along with this book. I am continually fascinated by my lack of knowledge of the Bible, and the women and the roles they played, however reading this book has been a true learning experience for me in many ways.
Eat Pray Love - this has been sitting on my nightstand for almost a year now. I picked it up months ago and didn't get 50 pages in before I lost interest. I am trying again and am now almost 100 pages into the book. I can't guarantee I am going to finish the book, but I hope to at least make it through Italy and give India a read before I give up (again) P.S. - I didn't see the movie
Those are all the adult books I have read this summer, but "Weird" is still on my list
I also read a few children's chapter books...
My students last year loved Andrew Clement books, especially after we read Frindle and No Talking as a class. So, I took some of my time this summer to read two more of his books....
The School Story - about a girl who writes a story and gets it published
and
The Report Card - A gifted student purposely does bad on her report card so that other kids will think she is ordinary.
I love how his stories relate to young students (about 3rd-5th level) oh, and they are very humorous!!
I also read Missing May by Cynthia Rylant, because I LOVE Cynthia Rylant!!! This book was kind of sad, but very good! It would be a good book to read to a class of 3rd or 4th graders and hear their thinking about what happens.
If you are a parent, or teacher, or just love a great children's book, here are some others I HIGHLY suggest (all by Cynthia Rylant)
The Ticky Tacky Doll (especially if you have a child going into kindergarten)
The Old Woman Who Named Things (I think this one is my favorite)
When the Relative Came
Silver Packages (great Christmas read, once again, inspiring)
The Bookshop Dog
The Cookie Store Cat (love them both)
Dog Heaven
Cat Heaven (I don't read these because I will cry too much)
When I was Young in the Mountains
Gooseberry Park ( I almost forgot about this one - its a chapter book, but such a sweet story!)
In November
Let's Go Home
The Henry and Mudge, Mr. Putter and Tabby, and Poppleton series
And many many more....
Happy Reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment